Dear Parents and Community Members,

As a school district, we have been closely monitoring the news and best practices regarding the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).  Now that the 2019-2020 school year has come to an unceremoniously end, our thoughts and energy have been focused on the next phases of this pandemic.  I urge you to remain patient as we monitor the progression of this virus and make decisions with the latest and most accurate information.  

Summer School

Typically, our schools would be bustling with students for a majority of the month of June.  All in-person classes will not take place throughout the Governor’s order set to expire on June 30.  We had the option to offer virtual summer school enrichment classes but it was decided to not offer those classes as students just finished two months of virtual instruction.

 We are currently formulating a plan to send to the county health department for approval that would allow us to potentially open our high school facilities for exercise and weight training in July.  We will communicate that out to students and parents if our proposal is approved.  Swimming lessons are unlikely to occur as the pool we conduct them at is not planning to open.  We plan to begin our Academic Kickstart summer session with on-site classes on August 24.  

Reopening of School This Fall

So many questions exist around if and when we will be allowed to open our doors for face-to-face instruction.  I am told that it will be a local decision so we will be working with the Trempealeau County Health Department to make decisions with the safety of our students and staff in mind.  A final plan will likely not be decided upon until late July so that we have the best information possible.  

If we are able to conduct on-site classes, there will be several things to consider.  Plans will be made that include at least three potential scenarios of school instruction.  One plan would include relatively normal instruction with minor modifications.  Staff and students may be required to wear personal protective equipment in some fashion.  A second plan would include a hybrid model where some instruction would take place on-site, while some instruction is delivered remotely.  The last plan would include total school closure with students being educated remotely.  Without question, we want students to be able to return and resume their educational journey with some normalcy, but we cannot ignore the safety concerns in doing so.  

Extracurricular Activities

As it currently stands, no fall sports have been canceled by the WIAA.  The WIAA will be closely monitoring the situation and will provide additional guidance as the summer progresses.  

In closing, I would like to say thank you to the parents for their extra efforts through the closure of school this spring.  I wish I could give you more concrete information about what to expect this fall.  I urge you to please follow the CDC guidelines for handwashing and social distancing.  As we begin to make decisions moving forward, we will be sure to communicate those out.  

Stay safe everyone.

Cory Kulig, Superintendent